You don’t want to miss this healthy Kale and Sausage Stew!
Hello there! I’m Andi from The Weary Chef. I’m a busy mom of two little boys who loves to cook and eat. REALLY loves to eat. Like most of us, I am tired at the end of the day without a lot of time or energy to cook dinner. That’s why I stick to easy recipes that don’t take long to make but still taste delicious. Every week on my blog, I share easy dinner recipes, a new bonus dish (like a dessert or appetizer), and a weekly menu full of dinner ideas every Saturday. When the folks at TodaysMama invited me to share one of those dinner recipes with you here every week, I jumped at the chance! I’m looking forward to meeting some fellow weary moms here and sharing simple dinner ideas with you.
Since I’m new around these parts, I wasn’t sure how I should start. Should I bring you something fun like nachos or keep it simple with a cheesy chicken casserole? I opted for something healthy. In fact, I think this may be the healthiest recipe I’ve ever written. I mean, it has kale AND barley AND lentils! I don’t know how I could have packed much more fiber or vitamins into one bowl. This is one of those dishes that is hard to name since it has a lot going on. Kale and Sausage Stew with Barley and Lentils and Tomatoes and Carrots doesn’t really roll off the tongue, so let’s just call it Healthy Kale and Sausage Stew for short. You’ll just have to remember all the other goodness is in there.
I hope you like this stew as much as we did. Please stay tuned to see what I bring you next week, and I would also love for you to hop on over to The Weary Chef to browse all my recipes there too. See you soon!
Healthy Kale and Sausage Stew
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 12 oz. fully cooked Italian sausage, sliced lengthwise and cut into 1/4″ slices (I use chicken or turkey sausage)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 c. dry barley
- 1/2 c. dry lentils
- 10 oz. kale, washed and chopped (I used the ready-to-eat bagged kind)
- hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and sausage, and saute until onion is translucent. Stir in garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano, basil, chili powder, and salt to the pot. Stir and bring to a simmer. Stir in barley, lentils, and half of kale. When kale has wilted a bit, add the remaining kale, stir to combine, and return to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Halfway through cooking time, stir and add up to 1 c. water if stew is thicker than you’d like.
- Serve and add hot sauce to individual portions if desired. Great served with crusty bread on a cool night!